Two Pilots™    Home  |  Navigation  |  Site Map  |  Products  |  Download  |  Prices  |  For Partners  |  Support

All forums · Statistics · Search ·

Two Pilots forum / For software developers / Printing issue with Adobe in Mac OS X
alphaomega
# Posted: 3 Aug 2012 12:44

Our client has thousands of users using Windows and Mac computers accessing our PDF files online. The problem is when embedding a special fonts in the PDF files, those who use Adobe in Mac OS X can't print the PDF. They get the error messages "The document could not be printed" and "There were no pages selected to print" respectively.

Forcing the Mac users to use a different software for printing is not an option our client is willing to take. They didn't have this issue with their previous vendor. When I did compare our PDF files with the ones provided by their previous vendor, there is one difference I noticed. The embedded fonts in their old PDF files have "Custom" encoding showing in the document font properties while our files created using PDFCreatorPilot have "Ansi" encoding.

I already tried experimenting with the FontEmbedStyle and TxFontCharset in PDFPAGE_SetActiveFont using different setting combinations. How do I Custom-encode embedded fonts in PDFCreatorPilot? Is there any other work around without having the users change anything in the way they use their software?

Artem
# Posted: 5 Aug 2012 09:02

Dear Alphaomega,

Seems, it is a problem with printing in Adobe Mac... Unfortunately, PDF Creator Pilot haven't got possibility for creating font with custom encoding.
Sorry for the inconvience.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

--
Best regards,
Artem Golubnichenko
Two Pilots
http://www.colorpilot.com

alphaomega
# Posted: 6 Aug 2012 10:44

Thanks for the reply.

I got some followup questions though. When I tried sending the PDF file to a virtual printer that converts a document to PDF, it modified the font properties of the PDF file, making it printable in Adobe for Mac. I noticed the font icons in the Document Properties of the file have changed from purple "A" to red "a" icon. This tells me the fonts don't have to be custom encoded as I originally wanted because the encoding still says "Ansi".

The question now is what does the red "a" icon next to the font name means? Is there a way I can do the same using PDFCreatorPilot? The PDF fails to print if there is at least one (1) font that appears with the purple "A" icon, as a result of embedding a font that I need embedded. If there's no way to do this in PDFCreatorPilot, can you point me to a software that can batch change the font properties faster? Sending each PDF to the virtual printer is a very slow process.

alphaomega
# Posted: 7 Aug 2012 16:30

OK, I've found out that the red "a" icon means the font embedding is Type 1. Is there a way in PDF Creator Pilot to force conversion of embedded fonts to Type 1 when creating the PDF?

Thanks.

Artem
# Posted: 7 Aug 2012 21:57

Hello Alphaomega,

> The question now is what does the red "a" icon next to the font name means?

We suppose, red "a" means that font is Type1, and purple "A" means that font is TrueType. Native font for Mac is Type 1. May be Mac can't print documents with TrueType fonts...

> Is there a way I can do the same using PDFCreatorPilot?

No. Only using virtual printer...

--
Best regards,
Artem Golubnichenko
Two Pilots

Artem
# Posted: 7 Aug 2012 21:59

Hello Alphaomega,

> OK, I've found out that the red "a" icon means the font embedding is Type 1. Is there a
> way in PDF Creator Pilot to force conversion of embedded fonts to Type 1 when
> creating the PDF?

Yes, you are right. The red "a" icon means the font embedding is Type 1. Unfortunately, PDF Creator Pilot haven't got feature for conversion of embedded fonts to Type 1. Sorry for the inconvience.

--
Best regards,
Artem Golubnichenko
Two Pilots

alphaomega
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 09:36

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. It surely helps me narrow down the search for a solution.
I also appreciate how you guys continue to support your product. I've been using PDF Creator Pilot since 2003.
More power to you guys!

Artem
# Posted: 8 Aug 2012 10:18

Hello,

Thank you for your kind words!

--
Best regards,
Artem Golubnichenko
Two Pilots