Two Pilots™    Home  |  Navigation  |  Site Map  |  Products  |  Download  |  Prices  |  For Partners  |  Support

All forums · Statistics · Search ·

Two Pilots forum / Digital photo software / ExifPilot: Plug-in issue for keywords.
Lucato
# Posted: 27 Feb 2012 16:47

Hi Artem, I have bought the plug-in, and it has an issue when importing the xls file. I noticed that it cuts the amount of the keywords when importing in the "_Iptc_Application_Keywords".

So, if I have keywords bigger than 255 characters into my xls file in the column "_Iptc_Application_Keywords", the plug-in doesn't get to read all them and cut at 255, missing the rest.

I had trouble in 7000 files and just noticed after uploading them!

When editing directly into the ExifPro, into the Custom/Keywords, it accepts more than 255 characters, so I think it is some issue in the plug-in.

Here is one example of keywords in the xls with more than 255:
"brown hair",people,woman,isolated,"isolated on white","white background",colour,"one mid adult woman only","35-40 years","real people","blonde hair","long hair","studio shot","head and shoulders","only young women","young women",female,"only mid adult women","mid adult women",30's,"mid adult",adult,white,funny,humor

Here is how it was imported and cut at 255th character:
"brown hair",people,woman,isolated,"isolated on white","white background",colour,"one mid adult woman only","35-40 years","real people","blonde hair","long hair","studio shot","head and shoulders","only young women","young women",female,"only mid adult wo

It needs an urgent update.

Artem
# Posted: 1 Mar 2012 13:30

Hello Lucato,

Yes, it is the Excel's limitation. If you use a Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications procedure to pass a string that is greater than 255 characters in length to an object, such as a text box, Microsoft Excel may truncate the string to 255 characters or may fail to enter the string in the text box. See more details here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/213841/en-us?fr=1

--
Best regards,
Artem Golubnichenko

Two Pilots
http://www.colorpilot.com

Lucato
# Posted: 1 Mar 2012 16:33 · Edited by: Lucato

I'm sorry but I don't thin it is an Excel limitation once my Excel file has already more than 255 characters and when exported to CSV it also gets to export with more then the 255 characters in the column. Besides that I tried the 3rd VBA (module) and it didn't solve anything when your plug-in imports the file, the issue remains. Try it by yourself creating keywords with more than 255 and importing them even using the VB module. So, the issue is happening when the plug-in imports it. IMHO your plug-in doesn't get to read all the characters as I said before. So, your plug-in just gets to import 255 characters and leaves behind the exceeded characters. I think you need to check it into your plug-in import functions.

Regards,
Lucato.

Artem
# Posted: 4 Mar 2012 07:06

Lucato,

OK. we'll try to check it. Thank you for your report.
If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

--
Best regards,
Artem Golubnichenko

Two Pilots
http://www.colorpilot.com

Lucato
# Posted: 4 Mar 2012 07:27

Thanks and good luck. I hope you get to fix it.
Have a nice Sunday.