Two Pilots™    Home  |  Navigation  |  Site Map  |  Products  |  Download  |  Prices  |  For Partners  |  Support

All forums · Statistics · Search ·

Two Pilots forum / Digital photo software / Explorer's 'Date taken' and dates in Exif tags
ElCoyote
# Posted: 14 Nov 2007 09:30

My camera (an old Sony Mavica) stores dates correctly, but some times are wrong.

The correct time shows up in:

File/Main/DateLastWrite.

The other times are all one hour ahead of the correct time:

Exif/Image/DateTime
Exif/Photo/DateTimeOriginal
Exif/Photo/DateTimeDigitized
Exif/Thumbnail/DateTime
Custom/DateTimeOriginal
Custom/DateLastWrite

Now, Windows Explorer shows a correct date/time in the 'Date taken' column. Even after I rotate the JPG in Windows Photo Gallery, Explorer shows the correct time in 'Date taken'. Even though all the times in the Exif data shown by Exif Pilot are now one hour off. (A new tag was added - Exif/Image/Software = "Microsoft Windows Photo Gallery 6.0.6000.16386".)

This makes me think Explorer is using some other date tag, which is not shown in Exif Pilot. Can you tell me what tag Explorer uses to determine 'Date taken'? And can I get at that tag in Exif Pilot?

ElCoyote
# Posted: 14 Nov 2007 09:37

Let me do this again. A few corrections.

My camera (an old Sony Mavica) stores dates correctly, but some times are wrong.

The correct time shows up in:

File/Main/DateLastWrite.
Custom/DateLastWrite

The other times are all one hour ahead of the correct time:

Exif/Image/DateTime
Exif/Photo/DateTimeOriginal
Exif/Photo/DateTimeDigitized
Exif/Thumbnail/DateTime
Custom/DateTimeOriginal

Now, Windows Explorer shows a correct date/time in the 'Date taken' column. Even after I rotate the JPG in Windows Photo Gallery, Explorer shows the correct time in 'Date taken'. Even though all the times in the Exif data shown by Exif Pilot are now either updated to today's date or one hour off, or removed entirely (Exif/Thumbnail tags). (A new tag was added - Exif/Image/Software = "Microsoft Windows Photo Gallery 6.0.6000.16386".)

This makes me think Explorer is using some other date tag, which is not shown in Exif Pilot. Can you tell me what tag Explorer uses to determine 'Date taken'? And can I get at that tag in Exif Pilot?

Artem
# Posted: 15 Nov 2007 05:56

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

DateCreation, DateLastAccess and DateLastWrite are file attributes. They are not EXIF data. Exif Pilot does not support modifying these file attributes.
The fields DateTime, DateTimeOriginal, and DateTimeDigitized are part of EXIF info and they can be edited in Exif Pilot.

> Can you tell me what tag Explorer uses to determine 'Date taken'? And can I get at that tag in Exif Pilot?

The tag 'Date taken' in Windows Explorer is the equivalent of the tag 'DateTimeOriginal' in Exif Pilot.

Best regards,

Artem Golubnichenko
Two Pilots

ElCoyote
# Posted: 16 Nov 2007 10:47

Thank you for the info. Further experimenting inclines me to this interesting conclusion.

The camera stores the Exif dates in Standard time. It must recognize the change between Std and DST time based on the old first Sunday in April/last Sunday in October system, because the Oct 11 dates were stored one hour off.

If the Date tag that Explorer uses is during the DST period, Explorer adjusts the time by subtracting an hour for display.

I think this is right. My head is swimming from juggling the dates of so many images.

-- Bob.