Two Pilots™    Home  |  Navigation  |  Site Map  |  Products  |  Download  |  Prices  |  For Partners  |  Support

All forums · Statistics · Search ·

Two Pilots forum / Converters / Way to generate bookmarks from help topics?
techwriter
# Posted: 22 Jul 2008 10:18

I'm converting a chm to PDF with trial version 2.15.74 - is there a way to get help topics/books to appear as bookmarks in the PDF?
Also, pdf is large - I see the compression option on the PDF settings page, but how do I turn off embed fonts?

techwriter
# Posted: 22 Jul 2008 10:25

I see the embed fonts checkbox now...Any info on the bookmark part of the question?

mvf
# Posted: 22 Jul 2008 22:22

The bookmarks (outlines) tree is built automaticaly if CHM file has "Contents" tab (section). If it does not then bookmarks is not created.

techwriter
# Posted: 23 Jul 2008 08:16

My CHM file has a Contents tab, but no bookmarks are created in the PDF, save one - the title of the CHM is the only bookmark, and has no bookmarks within/beneath it. Is there an option to select to create bookmarks? Has this happened to anyone else (bug?). Without bookmarks the PDF is not useful.
Thanks

mvf
# Posted: 23 Jul 2008 23:06

Can you send this CHM file to me please at max.f@colorpilot.com? I'll try to find out what is the problem.

techwriter
# Posted: 19 Nov 2008 10:13

I emailed you the chm and pdf output this morning. I hope you can figure out why bookmarks are not being generated.
thanks

Anonymous
# Posted: 20 Nov 2008 11:30

I converted the chm again this morning, and have bookmarks in the PDF - thankful but it is odd since I only made text edits to the chm. I now have a problem with the bookmarks :
The chm books are not linked to topics - in the pdf the books return an error when clicked: "Acrobat Database Connectivity Built-in Functions Version 5.0
Acrobat EScript Built-in Functions Version 5.0
Acrobat Annotations / Collaboration Built-in Functions Version 5.0

SyntaxError: invalid return"

I'm making further changes to the chm, and will try converting to pdf again and see if the bookmarks appear. If they do I will purchase this product.

techwriter
# Posted: 20 Nov 2008 14:37

1. Since I now have bookmarks in the PDF (not sure why, but thankful) I purchased a license and created the PDF again. The page count went from 713 pages (7mB) using the trial version to 1181 pages (11MB) using the licensed version; compression is on. Duplicate topics at the end of the pdf account for extra pages - why is this happening?

2. Is there any way to format the page number as "page x" instead of "page x of x"? That way I can delete the extra 500 pages and be done with it.
Thanks

techwriter
# Posted: 20 Nov 2008 16:22

OK, figured out why pdf doubled in size - had the chm listed twice in the "files to convert" (beginners error). Back to 711 pgs (removed some unused files in the help project.)

Other questions above still outstanding: error returned when bookmarks not linked to topics in chm are clicked on in pdf (workaround available?)

Topics not in the toc but are linked to from topics w/in toc are listed at the end of the pdf - how to avoid this?

Any way to format page numbers as page x instead of page x of x?

Thanks in advance

max.f
# Posted: 20 Nov 2008 23:52

> error returned when bookmarks not linked to topics in chm are clicked on in pdf

Do you mean Acrobat's warning message appears when you click some link that direvts outside of a PDF (some web link)? If yes then we can do nothing with it, it is Acrobat's message.

> Topics not in the toc but are linked to from topics w/in toc are listed at the end of the pdf

Try this: open settings dialog and check "Exclude orphan pages" - this may help.

> Any way to format page numbers as page x instead of page x of x?

The only way to do so is to convert CHM file from command line. See help file for more details ("Command Line" section).

--
Max Filimonov

techwriter
# Posted: 21 Nov 2008 15:47

The Acrobat's warning is not a result of clicking on a link outside of the pdf, but rather clicking on a bookmark (book in the chm) that is not linked to a topic at all.

I'm trying the 'exclude orphan pages' suggestion now.

I'll look at the Command line section in the help.

Thanks for your help and patience!

techwriter
# Posted: 21 Nov 2008 15:58

The Exclude Orphan Pages did the trick (Topics not in the toc but are linked to from topics w/in toc are listed at the end of the pdf)!!

chm Book names (PDF top-level bookmarks) still return error - the dialog returning the error is titled "JavaScript console". The chm has alot of JavaScript, so it must be related to that. Not sure how to get around it, but it is usable and looks great otherwise.

Thanks

techwriter
# Posted: 25 Nov 2008 11:51

I'm converting to PDF using the command line, and I used the option to specify a title. I thought the title option sets the text of each page header in the PDF. However after generating the chm, the header text in the pdf is still the same as the pdf name. No codes were returned. Any ideas?
Also, when generated from the command line, there is no indication that anything is being generated, until the pdf appears in the directory - is this normal?
Thanks