Two Pilots™    Home  |  Navigation  |  Site Map  |  Products  |  Download  |  Prices  |  For Partners  |  Support

All forums · Statistics · Search ·

Two Pilots forum / For software developers / PDFCreatorPilot v2.3 on Windows 2003 Server
ardolino
# Posted: 20 Apr 2007 12:16

I am trying to run an executable that uses PDFCreatorPilot v2.3 on a Windows 2003 Server (R2). If I run the executable at the server, it works fine. However, if I try to have an ASP.NET webpage execute the EXE using the PDFCreatorPilot, the CoGetClassObject call fails. I've checked all permissions and everything seems fine. It works on a Windows 2003 Server (without any Service Packs installed).

I saw another posting relating to DEP (Data Execution Prevention), which I am now noticing only exists starting on Windows 2003 Server SP1. I have two questions?

1. Is DEP preventing the executable from using PDFCreatorPilot when it runs through a web application?
2. Do I have to disable DEP completely (AlwaysOff), or can I select the PDFCreatorPilot2.dll and disable DEP just for Creator Pilot, or do I have to disable DEP for the EXE that is using the Creator Pilot? I guess I don't want to have to disable DEP completely if I don't have to, but I am not sure how to "selectively" disable DEP, if that is the problem.

Stanislav
# Posted: 20 Apr 2007 12:26

Dear Ardolino,

This is not a DEP issue. As i remember, 2.3 have problems under Windows 2003. Please try to download 2.7 from our website, or consider to upgrade to latest version - 3.3

Best regards,
Stanislav
Two Pilots
www.colorpilot.com

ardolino
# Posted: 24 Apr 2007 10:34

Where can I download 2.7? Or how do I upgrade to 3.3?

Stanislav
# Posted: 24 Apr 2007 10:58

Dear Ardolino,

You can download 2.7 here
http://www.colorpilot.com/pdflibrary.html

To purchase upgrade, please contact us using our support form:
http://www.colorpilot.com/support.html

Best regards,
Stanislav
Two Pilots
www.colorpilot.com

ardolino
# Posted: 30 Apr 2007 10:28

I installed PDFCreatorPilot v2.7. Still having the same problem. I even unregistered and reregistered the DLL.

I changed the code to use GetCLSIDFromProgID instead of CLSIDFromString and used "PDFCreatorPilot2.piPDFDocument". This call is failing when I run it through the web, yet when I execute the application (EXE) manually on the server it runs and creates the PDF fine. Its as if the DLL is not registered - I don't know what is causing the problem, or preventing the program from finding the CLSID using the ProgID.

Please help.

ardolino
# Posted: 30 Apr 2007 15:33

I figured it out!!! :)

The username for the Application Pool under IIS must match the username used for Anonymous authentication. Not sure of the reason why, but I tried it on several WIndows 2003 servers and it solved the problem (definitely something to do with user permissions and/or group policy - perhaps impersonation). As soon as I changed the usernames to match, both versions 2.3 and 2.7 work fine. Thank you for your help.