CSV is a text file that uses a comma to separate values; it stores numbers and text in plain text (read more about CSV format on Wikipedia).
EXIF metadata can be stored in CSV format as well. This page explains how to export EXIF metadata to text (CSV format) using Exif Pilot software, and how to import EXIF metadata back to digital photos after editing CSV-file.
Tags in an CSV File
Each tag in a text file is defined using the following descriptions: “Name of Tag”, “Value of Tag”.
You can use two export methods:
- Batch export of EXIF and IPTC information for multiple images recorded in a single file.
- Batch export of EXIF and IPTC information for multiple images each recorded in separate files.
You can choose which of the two types of export/import to use. Select the main menu item “Tools”->”Options” tab, then go to “Settings” and select the option under “Export/Import to/from single File”.
How to export EXIF metadata to text and import changed metadata back to digital photos
For example, to change the FNumber field on number 2.6:
1. Open Exif Pilot and choose the file to change.
2. Go to “Import/Export”->”Export Exif/Iptc to Csv”.
3. As instructed, open the text file:
and change the value of the FNumber tag.
4. Save the text file.
5. Go to “Impor/Export”->”Import Exif/Iptc from Csv”.
6. Choose the file to import.
7. The FNumber field has the value 2.6.
To avoid undesirable change of metadata, please make backup copies of files before editing.